How To Start Making Money Online
So, you are searching the internet trying to figure out how to start making money online right? I get it and I have been exactly where you are at! The internet is huge and can be quite intimidating when looking for ways to start making money online so how are we going to start making money online you ask? Great question and the keyword here is to “start” if you don’t start trying to make money online you will never make money online it’s as simple as that. Failure is not an option but failure is the stepping stone to success and what I hope to show you is how to keep your failures to a minimum and to shorten the time it takes to become successful.
Blogging & Affiliate Marketing
Blogging combined with affiliate marketing are in my opinion, the best ways to start making money online. Anyone can start a blog with very little to no money! If you want to cut to the chase and get started blogging for free go here now, otherwise read on to learn more about blogging and affiliate marketing.
So your next question I am sure you are thinking is “why blogging and why affiliate marketing” and again, blogging and affiliate marketing are the viable option because of the low entry point of starting a blog and monetizing it with affiliate marketing. In order to sell something online you need to get a product out there (affiliate marketing) and Google and the other search engines love blogs that deliver relevant content that pertains to a subject that people are searching for. In order to start any business online or a blog you are going to need a few things:
- A domain name
- Website hosting
A domain name is your virtual real estate. Every blog starts with a great domain name and the best place to get the domain name that gives you the best value for your money is going to be Wealthy Affiliate’s SiteDomains and website builder. Sign up for Wealthy Affiliate’s Free Starter Membership and get two free Site Rubix website’s and domains for free. It is a great way to get your feet wet and to see if blogging is for you. You have nothing to lose and if you think blogging is something you enjoy doing then you can continue with your free membership or you can up your game and get the Premium Membership that will take you and your business to the next level. This is exactly what I did and I am so glad I did and I have not looked back since. Wealthy Affiliate Domains cost anywhere from $13.99 to $15.99 and that may sound higher than some of their competitors but with when you purchase a domain through Wealthy Affiliate you get Free Privacy and Free SSL Certificate both of these are additional charges at other domain registrars. Some of the benefits od Wealthy Affiliate’s SiteDomains platform are as follows:
- Free & full access to emails
- Full Privacy & domain protection
- Absolutely no upsells and the price of your domain does not go up every year like other registrars.
- Free SSL Certificate. This is HUGE! Google is devaluing sites that do not have SSL. You must have an SSL certificate attached to your domain. To learn more about SSL Certificates please visit this from a member of Wealthy Affiliate here.
Here is Wealthy Affiliate’s SiteRubix free SiteDomains Widget. Go ahead and play with it it’s a blast!
The Free Starter Membership gave me all the tools I needed to be successful online and it allowed me the time to learn blogging and affiliate marketing and to see if that was something that I would enjoy doing. I always recommend at the very least to sign up for the Free Starter Membership. You will be as amazed as I was at what you will get for free from Wealthy Affiliate.
Now, website hosting is the second thing that you must have to start making money online. Again, Wealthy Affiliate is my choice for hosting services and with the Free Starter Membership just like the two free domains you will get hosting for free for two sites as well. With their Premium Membership, you get can build 50 websites on one account, 25 with the free SiteRubix domain and 25 on your own domain. Wealthy Affiliate’s hosting is what is called “Managed WordPress Hosting”, so what does that mean? Managed WordPress hosting It’s just that. Wealthy Affiliate utilizes only WordPress and their CMS (content management system)manages the servers and monitors your website around the clock giving you peace of mind so you can dedicate all of your time to build your business and not have to worry about hosting issues that are so common with other hosts. There are a ton of benefits that come with Wealthy Affiliate’s hosting. Below are just as few off the top of my head.
- Wealthy Affiliate monitors your website 24 hours a day 365 days a year
- There is layer of security set up on your websites that scans for hundreds of potentially critical issues. This technology will then automatically fix these issues leaving your website safe, secure and with minimal downtime.
- Support: Wealthy Affiliate’s SiteSupport is unsurpassed by any hosting company in the industry! With a less than 5 minute response time, they are there for you 24/7/365 days a year. Even at 3 am! No problem is too big for SiteSupport.
- Industry-leading virus and malware protection. With Wealthy Affiliate’s Managed Hosting you can be sure you are protected by their SiteProtect Platform.
- With Wealthy Affiliate’s Premium Membership hosting you are getting comparable hosting to companies that charge upwards of $250-$300 a month with the only exception being that the Wealthy Affiliate servers are much faster.
No matter how you decide to start making money online you will need a domain name and hosting. I have been with a number of the popular domain name registrars like www.Goddaddy.com & www.namecheap.com and though they are fine they do not offer near as much value as Wealthy Affiliate does. See the comparison chart below to see what Wealthy Affiliate offers compared to other managed WordPress hosting companies. There is NO comparison!
I am sure you can feel my exuberance for Wealthy Affiliate by now and I know I got a little off track from my main point of how to start making money online but what I shared is quite relevant to making money online, in fact, I am so sure that Wealthy Affiliate is the best way for anyone that is new to building a business online can fast-track their success by following the training that the Wealthy Affiliate founders Kyle and Carson have masterfully laid out for us. I have not covered even half of the benefits that Wealthy Affiliate offers. I did not even mention their free keyword tool Jaaxy that in my opinion is the best keyword/niche research tool available! PERIOD! Jaaxy is free with the premium Membership at Wealthy Affiliate. Go ahead and check it out with some free searches with the Jaaxy widget.
Are you a college student looking to supplement your income to find a way how to make money online as a college student? I get it! College is expensive and the more you can pay for now the less burden you will put on your family or on your student loans when you graduate.
No More Flipping Burgers!
Many college students get jobs on and off of campus usually at fast food restaurants, waiting tables at cafe’s and bars and some even work construction and office jobs to make extra money to help pay off their tuition and to pay bills. For some, this works out great and is a viable alternative to making extra money while in college but to many “brick & mortar” jobs are inconvenient with a busy college course load many have found numerous ways to make money online as a college student. What are some of the jobs you have done as a college student? Leave a comment at the bottom of this page. I would love to hear your story!
Like I was saying for many college students frankly, flipping burgers and slinging drinks just isn’t convenient and honestly does not pay much more than minimum wage.
The Future Is Bright!
The newest trend for college students on how to make money online as a college student is to make money from their dooms on their laptops! The good news is that most college students already have the tools that it takes to make money online which is a laptop and knowing how to use it.
Beware Of Scams Aplenty!
There are a ton of scams out there and I hope to steer you clear of any of those and share with you the many different ways that I know how a college student can make money online. I will say this if it sounds too good to be true it probably is! The opportunities that I will share with you are legitimate ways to make money online as a college student or anyone for that matter. Be prepared to do some work! Nothing in life is free and you never know that whatever you decide to do it may just turn into a full-time business for you! Are you ready? Let’s go!
There are a ton of websites that will pay you to write various types of articles. Some companies are legit and some are not. These are not high paying jobs but if you are a proficient typist then the money can add up quick. There are a lot of rules to follow depending on which site you choose but as long as you follow the rules you will be paid if your article is approved. The following websites are legit and are paying at the time of this article.
- WritersWeekly.com is a great site that pays between $40-$60 for an approved article. They are strict in their requirements but they are a highly respected article house that has been in business for years.
- PSD Tuts + are you proficient with Adobe Photoshop? If so then you can create tutorials in either video or text versions and the Envato Market will pay you anywhere from $50-$150 for your approved tutorial!
- ACHS The American Center For Healthcare Sciences is looking for articles about holistic health & wellness. They require their article to be anywhere from 600-1000 words and they will pay you $50 for each approved article.
- Make A Living Writing “Practical Help For Hungry Writers” is what it says on her site. Carol started this site to help writers make more money writing. She pays between $75-$150 and has been paying for guest post article on her website since 2010!
- Sitepoint has been around 1999 and is in my humble opinion one of the top websites when it comes to web development. If you are knowledgeable about web development then this may be the perfect writing job for you. They require your article to be over 1000 words and pay a flat rate of $100. If your article receives 100,000 page views then you will receive another $250!
PTC (Paid To Click) & GPT (Get Paid To) Sites
Although not my favorite way to make money online, joining PTC & GPT sites are an easy way to make quick money online. There are literally thousands of websites out there that offer this service but if you stick to the ones I recommend you will be in good hands and will not get scammed. So what are PTC sites you ask? Great question! PTC sites are just that, you get paid to visit websites and to click the ads on those websites. GPT sites are sites that pay you to do things like taking survers or fill out forms and offers and they are a great way to make money online as a college student. How it works is website owners need website visitors especially when they are new. PTC sites pay us “clickers” to visit these websites for a specified amount of time and either navigate throughout the site or to click on ads. In turn, the website owners pay the PTC sites for each click and the PTC sites, in turn, pay us per each click. It is boring and tedious work but again, it is an easy way to make quick money online. Stick with the following PTC sites and you cannot go wrong.
- Neobux is one of the top PTC/GPT sites. Very low per click prices but plenty of sites to click. If you can point and click and don’t get bored easily then this site is for you. You can make more money doing surveys here as well
- Clixsense is a GPT/Survey site that has been around for years and is one of the originators of the PTC/GPT game. They no longer offer PTC but their surveys pay pretty well and they have a ton of what are called “Offer Walls” where you get paid to fill out forms, give your email or phone number etc…
- ScarletClicks is another PTC/GPT site that has stood the test of time and has plenty of opportunities to make money clicking
Blogging & Affiliate Marketing
Now, this is my favorite way for college students not only to make money online but to build a real business that will last forever and provide passive income with some hard work up front.
What is blogging and affiliate marketing you ask and why do they go hand in hand? Great question!
Let’s start with blogging. From Wikipedia “A blog (a truncation of the expression “weblog“) is a discussion or informational website published on the World Wide Web consisting of discrete, often informal diary-style text entries (“posts”). Posts are typically displayed in reverse chronological order, so that the most recent post appears first, at the top of the web page. “ In layman’s terms, a blog is a website that is written on a certain topic with posts being made on a regular basis.
Very simply, Google and other search engines love unique, relevant content that is updated on a regular basis and if Google & the other search engines like your content they will send your blog free website traffic. When you have free traffic from search engines that are relevant to your topic this is the perfect opportunity to introduce affiliate marketing onto your blog and a way to monetize your free traffic from the search engines. Free search engine traffic is the absolute best website traffic you can get to your blog. This means that the visitor has searched for your article keywords and is interested in your article’s topic. In other words, they are likely interested in what you have to sell on your blog and that is where affiliate marketing comes in my friend! If you want to learn how to make money online as a college student then you definitely want to learn how to blog.
<<<Yes! That is exactly what affiliate marketing is! Companies are going to pay you a commission to sell their stuff online! From Wikipedia “Affiliate marketing is a type of performance-based marketing in which a business rewards one or more affiliates for each visitor or customer brought by the affiliate’s own marketing efforts.” Again, in layman’s terms, affiliate marketing is the process of selling other peoples stuff on your blog for a cut of the profits. Eazy Peezy! Well, in theory, yes and anyone can get into affiliate marketing but I would suggest proper affiliate marketing training before spinning your wheels and getting nowhere. The cool thing about affiliate marketing is that you can start your business with very little money. Basically the cost of your domain(your website’s address or URL) and hosting of which there are many different economical ways to get hosting. Affiliate marketing is the best way to make money online as a college student. To learn about the best affiliate marketing training and hosting in my humble opinion read on…
If you want to make money online as a college student and beyond then my # 1 recommendation is Wealthy Affiliate which is an affiliate marketing training and website hosting platform created in 2005 by Kyle & Carson that teaches the proper way to make money online with affiliate marketing using WordPress blog. WordPress is the CMS or Content Management System you will be using to create your blog. WordPress was built for the search engines and Google loves WordPress websites! Inside of WA, you will learn everything you need to know about building, ranking and making money with your WordPress website. I have tried many other affiliate marketing training programs and no none comes close to what Wealthy Affiliate has to offer. PERIOD! Check out my Wealthy Affiliate review that goes into more depth as to what Wealthy Affiliate is and is not.